Monday, May 07, 2012

Lock Me Now

Those who have used Windows or Linux before are probably used to the Super+L or Control+Alt+L actions to lock your screen. The utility of this is noticeable when you work in a Cube Farm and need to ensure that no one access your workstation when you are away from it.

By Default the way to Lock the screen, not very intuitive if you ask me, is to hit Control+Shift+Eject on your Mac Laptop. Now how do I map this to a USB keyboard that I use when at the office? Not possible you might say.

Solution:
There are a couple solutions I have tried. One is okay, the other is good. The Okay method, which I do not recommend can be found here
I don't recommend it because it is a little finicky and does not directly address the concern.

The good way is to use Lock Me Now (iTunes Store) it's free. After installing and running it you will find a small lock icon in the System Tray (not sure if this is the proper Apple term). Edit the Preferences to configure the key combination you want and confirm that the Application starts at boot. The only complaint I have is that the "Paus iTunes Music" Option will start iTunes, even if it is not running, so that it can Pause the nothing that is playing.

Another Option Using BetterTouchTool (Read my previous post on how to get BetterTouchTool Setup)
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/9930/bettertouchtool-and-mac-os-x-lock-your-mac-with-a-touchpad-gesture-keyboard-shortcut-and-more/

No comments: