Tuesday, April 24, 2012

New Mac OS X 10.7 Laptop

Hello Readers,

I recently refreshed my work laptop from a Lenovo W500 running Ubuntu to a Macbook Pro running Mac OS X 10.7. As I make my transition expect useful tips and rants regarding how Mac OS X doesn't work the same way as any other OS I have dealt with previously.

Tip #1: Opening Files
In all OSes I have worked with previously, Windows, Linux, Unix...hitting Enter after selecting a file opens it with the default application.
Apple decided that conforming to decades of common practice (Enter opens a file) they have modified this behavior to overload the Super key even further than they already have.
To open a File/Application in OS X highlight it and then hit the keyboard combination Super + Down Arrow. Or you can Double Click like on all other OSes, except that many of us Linux users prefer to keep our hands on the keyboard and ignore the Mouse for most tasks.

More to come.

No comments: